Pittsburgh auto glass professionals share expert advice.
We may have turned the page on February, but it’s not uncommon to see snowfall in March. After all, spring hasn’t sprung just yet! The Pittsburgh auto glass experts at Three Rivers Auto Glass hopes your windshield makes it through the winter unscathed. But until the winter bids its final farewell, we have a few tips to get you through the last few bouts with snow.
Use proper tools to scrape your windshield.
– Be sure to use only an ice-scraper meant for windshields.
– Don’t use a broken scraper and don’t create your own makeshift scraper as it can scratch your windshield.
Use the proper scraping methods.
– Put on your defroster and let it do its job. NEVER use hot water as a substitute.
– Scrape the windshield from the side, not up or down.
Before you drive.
– Scrap and defrost the entire windshield. You may be in a rush, but only clearing a portion of the glass will obstruct your vision once you get on the road.
– Be sure your windshield washer fluid reservoir is full. It’s not a bad idea to carry some in the trunk of your car in case you run out. The importance of windshield wiper fluid is often overlooked, until it’s gone!
– Check your wipers to be sure they’re working and clearing your windshield properly. Replace them as needed.
Take care of chips and cracks in your windshield.
– Cracks and chips can spread quickly in cold weather
– Moisture can seep into the cracks during a warm-up or when you defrost, refreeze, and then expand when it thaws again.
– Call and make an appointment with your favorite windshield repair experts in Pittsburgh. Psst, that’s us!
Other safety tips to get you through the winter.
– Make sure your battery is fully charged.
– Check your antifreeze.
– If your low on air, fill up your tires. This can drastically affect your driving capabilities in bad weather.
– Keep a pair of sunglasses in the car to combat with the reflection the sun makes off of laying snow
– Keep hazard lights, a few bottles of water, non-perishable food items and a warm blanket in your car.
We know spring is right around the corner. Until then, continue to keep your scraper and essential items in your car just in case it snows a few more times. Don’t worry, you’ll be pulling out your windshield sunshade soon enough! For windshield repairs in Pittsburgh, please call Three Rivers Auto Glass and visit one of our 6 convenient locations!