Just your luck! Your windshield is cracked, nicked, or scratched and needs to be replaced. But how do you go about doing that? Where do you even begin?
Don’t worry. Three Rivers Auto Glass is here to help. We’ve provided premium auto glass services in and around Pittsburgh for over 40 years, and we’ve accumulated tremendous experience, knowledge, and insight along the way… especially when it comes to windshield repair and windshield replacement.
Windshield Replacement Repair Guide
- First things first: Call your insurance company. Depending on your circumstances and particular policy and/or provider, your windshield replacement may be covered in full, in part, or not at all by your insurance. Contact your insurance company immediately after windshield damage to determine your coverage, potential financial liability, and other obligations.
- Find the right shop. There are dozens of auto glass shops in and around Pittsburgh, so choose wisely. Select one that, at minimum, satisfies the following criteria:
- Insurance. If applicable, make sure the shop you choose accepts your insurance. Three Rivers Auto Glass accepts most major insurances and can sometimes work with other companies. Still, we encourage you to check with us about your insurance anyway, so that unnecessary delays and/or additional expenses can be avoided.
- Certifications. The National Glass Association (“NGA”) is the largest trade association in the auto glass industry, and a “certification” from it confirms the recipient’s commitment to industry-leading standards for quality, workmanship, safety, and good practice. Choose a shop that’s NGA Certified and/or certified by other industry groups with exacting standards. Three Rivers Auto Glass is NGA Certified, IGA Certifed, OEM Certified for installation and is an NRWA Trusted Repair Technician.
- OEM Glass. To ensure proper fit, stability, and load-bearing, your vehicle’s replacement glass should be Original Engineering Manufacturer (“OEM”) glass or glass made by the same manufacturer that made your vehicle’s original glass. OEM glass is specific to make, so make sure the shop you choose stocks the OEM glass for your vehicle. At Three Rivers Auto Glass, we carry OEM glass used by “the big three” automakers, as well as a number of specialty brands.
- Convenience. In addition to the above, when choosing a shop, consider its location, availability to provide quick service, and any other “conveniences” offered; and choose the shop that best suits you. Three Rivers Auto Glass has six shops in the greater-Pittsburgh area and offers mobile services to your home or office, at no additional cost.
- Plan… if possible. You can’t plan on when you’ll need a windshield replacement. But when you choose Three Rivers Auto Glass to replace your windshield, you can plan to be back on the road within approximately two hours. When making an appointment for in-shop service or adjusting your obligations after calling for mobile service, please keep this timeframe in mind and plan accordingly.
- Leave your windshield alone! Once your windshield is damaged, it’s more prone to additional damage. Anything you do to it could damage it more, which could seriously change both the nature (and cost) of the work needed and the nature of your insurance claim, including whether it’s covered. So, again: Leave your windshield alone! Do not poke at or investigate it; do not try to remove any broken/hanging glass or attempt to fix or patch it; do not wash it. Don’t do anything to it, unless we tell you to.
We hope these tips will make windshield replacement a little easier for you. And to make things even easier, Three Rivers Auto Glass offers coupons for both insurance-covered and self-paying customers. Check out Three Rivers Auto Glass for details!